Sunday, October 2, 2011

Scott's Tribute to His Dad

My Dad
In 1935, a young couple married in Atlantic City.  As they began their home, Vance and Arlene longed to have a family.  However, after 10 years went by with no success they almost gave up hope.  Then, in 1945, only weeks after Vance was sent overseas with the military, Arlene found out that she was pregnant.  The baby they hoped for and dreamed about was finally here!  On December 21st, 1945 Michael Mellinger was born.  It was clear from the beginning that God had special plans for my dad.  Throughout the years this was evident as my dad touched many through his career, his hobbies and most importantly his role as a father. 
He began his career in environmental engineering in the 1970’s.  Over the next 30+ years he helped companies protect the environment from harmful waste and create a safe environment for their employees.  Though sometimes our jobs seem small and insignificant, my dad’s job was neither.  Because of him the earth is a cleaner place and thousands of people have a safer work environment.
My dad’s hobbies are also inspiring.  When I was young my dad began running to get in shape.   Since then he has run countless miles and completed numerous marathons.  Some of our fondest memories have been running together and helping each other complete marathons.  Throughout the years my dad has also enjoyed hiking, especially at famous sites.  Hiking the Grand Canyon down and back in one day is a great memory that we share.  His discipline and stamina continue to encourage me to be the best that I can be no matter what I am doing.   
Perhaps the most significant impact my dad has made and continues to make is as a father.  As a child my dad became my biggest fan as he helped me to pursue sports and other interests.  He coached many of my teams and helped me to train strategically.  Throughout the years of wrestling, running, soccer and baseball my dad never missed a game.  Everyone began to know my dad because he was the one cheering the loudest.  He was also very involved with our Boy Scout troop and Indian Guides.   His devotion and love for me are one of the most significant memories in my life. 
Ever since the beginning, Dad, it has been clear that God has had special plans for your life.  Your concern for me, our family and countless others will have a lasting impact.  Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do.  I love you from the bottom of my heart.  I would not be who I am today were it not for you and your love.                      
Love,
“Your #1 son”~ Scott
(an inside joke - because I was his first child he called me his #1 son)

No comments:

Post a Comment